Sunday, May 01, 2011

AM Tutoring Tips and Tricks part 3 - Reuse polished curves.

How to animate fast? wisely reuse the curves already been done could help a lot.

Unless you have bunch of awesome genius riggers got your back, otherwise it needs a lof of work to make the CG model move organically. Facial animation for an example, working individually on cheeks, nose, lower eye lids could take you hours and hours. so why not to use the curves already finished, and apply them to the other connected parts?

I'll take last shot I did for an example.

After I finaled the lip-sync, most of all, up and down on the jaw. It connects to the cheeks, nose, and lower eye lids. So I copy the up/down curve, paste it to the cheeks, nose and lower eye lids. So they can move together and feel connected. Some adjustment needed because they might not share the same volume, but basically I'll just scale the curves to the proper range.

For the exaggeration, and break the feeling that head is a gigantic solid sphere. I also copy the jaw curves to the head scale. So when he opens mouth, the head stretch a tiny bit; when he close mouth, head squashed as well. Unless the project is super cartoony, I personally like to keep this in very subtle way, so you'll feel it, but not necessary see it.

Download QuickTime file HERE

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any question. If you have better way to do it, please kindly share with me.

cheers.

2 comments:

VienNguyen said...

Hi, thank you for you tip.

But I still confuse a little bit..

You mean copy the rotate x movement of the jaw to the translate y of the cheek and eyelid? cuz when I do that It turns out weird. :D

Erik Lee said...

most of time, if you just copy one curve to the other without adjustment, it will looks weird. generally, every channel have different amount range, ex. RX on jaw might be -100 to 100, but TY on cheek is -10 to 10, in this case after you copy the curve, you need to scale it to the proper range. You could directly scale it or type *=0.1 (1/10) in graphic editor to scale the curve range.
Hope this makes sense.